Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Using a PKCS#12 certificate with VMware View 5.0’s Connection Server

I’m not exactly sure why VMware specifically states that the certificate you use for View Manager and Connection server has to be PKCS#7 but I went ahead and tried to use a PKCS#12 certificate today because that was the format a Windows server allows you to export from a certificate generated by a Windows Certificate Authority and it looks like it works.

The certificate I generated has the following properties:

imageimage

The export format I used is PKCS#12 as shown here:

image

It’s interesting to note that PKCS#7 is grayed out when I select Yes, export the private key but if I don’t, I get he PKCS#7 option:

imageimage

As per the following instructions from:

 http://pubs.vmware.com/view45/ol/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=install/t_configure_vc_to_use_cert.html#1_18_10_1

image

… I went ahead and copied the PKCS#12 file named certificate.pfx to the directory: install_directory\VMware\VMware View\Server\sslgateway\conf\:

image

… created the locked.properties file and added the following lines:

image

… restarted the Connection Server services and the HTTPS began to work:

image

image

Note that this is probably not supported by VMware so it’s best to use a PKCS#7 certificate if possible.

No comments: