Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

VMware View 4.x Sizing Tool?

I really wished there was some kind of a sizing tool spreadsheet similar to what Microsoft had to offer for their Exchange and OCS/ Lync deployments that make various assumptions to assist you in sizing the a solution.  I’ve been trying to work out estimates for a 300 virtual desktop deployment with limited information on the type of OS, remote workers, screen resolution, type of workers, applications to determine stateful or stateless desktops and so forth.  What I was able to find was the VMware View Architecture Planning View 4.6 guide (www.vmware.com/pdf/view-46-architecture-planning.pdf) so with it, I worked out a spreadsheet to calculate some numbers:
image
image
Unfortunately, the planning guide only provides bandwidth allocation for the knowledge worker so I ended up having to work out some estimates for the other types of workers as well.
With all that being said, I am glad that the planning guide is available and through reading it twice over the last two nights gives me the impression that whoever wrote it put a lot of thought into it.  While I do understand that there are seemingly infinite factors that can drastically affect sizing and the best approach is to actually pilot a solution but I still think it would be nice to have some sort of tool that makes a bunch of assumptions and then spits out some numbers with a big footnote saying it’s just to serve as a general guideline.
For those who are used to reading my other posts that are meant to provide a solution to a problem, note that this post is not meant to provide planning guidelines but just a way of speaking my mind towards this exercise.  If there’s a tool available for partners that I’m aware about, please feel free to put a comment below to let me know.

3 comments:

architect said...

Hi! Can you please send me your xls file? I am new to virtualisation and would like to find out more about it.
Thank you in advance!

Yuriy

Unknown said...

Hi! Can you send me a copy of your xls file?

Thanks
Anh Tuan

Karl Bunnell said...

Are you willing to share this spreadsheet? If so, could you send it to me? Many thanks!