Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pre/Post tasks for P2V-ing a physical host to a virtual machine

Throughout the years that I’ve been involved with virtualizing environments, I’ve realized that there are actually many pre and post tasks that should be completed when virtualizing a physical host.  While I always had scattered notes that I referred to for these projects, it was not until 2 years ago when I combined mine with the notes of my current practice lead.  The following list probably doesn’t cover everything but should serve as a good start:

**Note: Sorry about the images.  I have the tables in an email but it doesn’t paste properly in Windows Live Writer.

Hot Cloning

image

Cold Cloning 

image

Cloning Process

image

Completion of Cloning

image

image

image

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all these interesting notes !!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Saved me hours of extraction from my own brain :) I only used the post P2V. Edited it slightly for my own needs and have it in a table if you would like it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I would like the total list please. Can you post a file? thanks to you... pjr