Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How do I connect if the SQL Cluster Virtual Name or Virtual IP Cluster Resource is down?

I had to leave SunGard today in Mississauga and head back to an office for an interview for a potential hire. The position was for a Microsoft SC and since the candidate indicated he knew Microsoft SQL, I asked him a question that I was asked awhile by a client.

How would you connect to manage clustered SQL resources if the virtual IP and virtual name resources are down for MSCS and the SQL Cluster group?























I remember the client telling me they apparently spent 2 days trying to figure it out but wasn't able to.
I thought about it for a few seconds, opened up an RDP session to both of the nodes, figured out which one was active and owned the quorum, opened up cluster administrator, then typed: localhost in the connect to.

The client was amazed. The interviewee was stumped but managed to answer it after a few minutes. :)





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

probably would have been more impressed if you'd just typed a period in cluster admin to get the cluster service up...

digital signature Microsoft said...

Thanks for these instructions ! I really appreciated the read and shall be dropping by from time to time now.